Table Of Contents
Hoi An Chicken Rice Introduction
Hoi An Chicken Rice is one of the must-try dishes in the list of the Hoi An street foods. Traveling to Hoi An, you should visit the ancient town, the Hoi An countryside as well as the best Hoi An street foods. Chicken rice is the pride of Hoi An’s people. Traveling to the ancient town, if you haven’t tried this dish, it means you didn’t come to Hoi An.
You can find Hoi An chicken rice anywhere in Vietnam but the chicken rice in Hoi An is totally different. Hoi An’s sophisticated cuisine culture and locally fresh ingredients have given this dish a rich, buttery melt-in-your-mouth sensation that cannot find anywhere else.
- You may be interested in our Vietnam street food tours series such as the Hanoi street food tour, Saigon street food tour, and Hue street food tour.
Hoi An Chicken Rice Recipe
To make the Best Hoi An Chicken Rice, the locals carefully choose good quality rice, Tra Que village herbs, and free-range chicken. Below are the must-prepared ingredients that we have to prepare:
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 lime
- 3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 bunches of lettuce
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/4 cup uncooked sticky rice
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced, marinated with 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon fish sauce, and 1 teaspoon vinegar.
- Finely chopped Vietnamese mint.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
For coating sauce: 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon fish sauce, and 1 teaspoon lime juice. Mix these three ingredients together, add in 1/8 cup water and chili if desired.
How to cook it?
Firstly we wash the chicken thoroughly, then we boil to cooked and add 1 teaspoon of turmeric to the broth. After that, we take the chicken out and cool it on a rack.
Secondly, we mix the white rice and sticky rice together, then we rinse under running water for 30 seconds. We put the rice in the boiling chicken broth so that the level of water is about 1cm above the level of the rice. Then we add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Please remember to lower heat and simmer the rice until cooked. The standard cooked rice should have a glossy yellow color.
Meanwhile, we will chop the boiled chicken into pieces or into quarters. This is depending on your preference so it is optional. (in the ancient town of Hoi An, chicken breast is torn by hands into thin slices). Then, we mix chicken meats with the marinated onions and add in Vietnamese mint.
Finally, we will arrange rice on a large dish, which we put on the top with chicken and tomato slices. Plus, we add lettuce and pour the coating sauce over the chicken rice as you wish.
Hoi An Chicken Rice Restaurant
There are a lot of chicken rice shops in the ancient town but Culture Pham Travel highly recommend the 5 best places for chicken rice in Hoi An
- Xi Restaurant, 47/2 Tran Hung Dao Street, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Com Ga Huong, 60 Le Loi Street, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Com Ga Man, Japanese Covered Bridge, Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street, Hoi An, Quang Nam
- Com Ga Ba Buoi, 22 Phan Chau Trinh Street, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Com Ga Ba Nga, 08 Phan Chau Trinh Street, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
Please note that the Hoi An chicken rice price range is from 25,000VND to 50,000VND/ dish. And if you would like to taste all the best Hoi An street foods, you should book Hoi An Street Food Tour via Culture Pham Travel. We are sure you will have a wonderful evening with us!