Four Holy Animals in Vietnam, What they are?
As you know, in Vietnam, there are four holy animals (4 sacred animals), (in Vietnamese: Tứ Linh or Tứ Thánh Thú) They include the Vietnamese dragon (Long) in the East, the Unicorn (Lân or Nghê) in the West, the Turtle (Quy) in the North, and the Phoenix (Phụng) in the South.
Each of them has different powers and to be different symbols.
- The dragon is a symbol of the power of Emperors, the emperor was like the Son of Heaven.
- Phoenix is a symbol of the richness and purification of females such as princesses, empresses, the emperor’s mother, or grandmother.
- Turtle is a symbol of longevity and education (long-life and wisdom). At Thien Mu pagoda in Hue city. There is a giant Turtle made of marble from 1675. Because of the symbol for Education. Some students, before taking examinations, come to Linh Mu pagoda to touch the head of the giant turtle to get good luck.
- The last one is Unicorn, I know in other countries, A unicorn is a horse with a horn on its head, and little girls love unicorns. But in Viet Nam, the unicorn (called Con Nghê) is a mixture of many different animals but basically between 2 animals: a Dragon’s head, the body of a dog. The symbol of power and loyalty of Civil servants and military servants.
- Chinese unicorn (called the Qilin (Lân)). A combination between the Dragonhead but the body of a lion.
In the past, we were a colony and we have fought with the Chinese for around one thousand years so the Chinese always have been trying to influence Viet Nam long time ago until now so we made many different things to differ from Vietnam and China.
In addition, in the Hue imperial Citadel or Royal tombs of the Nguyen Dynasty. Easily you can see a couple of Unicorns guarding and protecting in front of the entrances.
Video Treasures of the Nguyen Dynasty – 4 holy animals in Vietnam
(Source: HUE MONUMENTS CONSERVATION CENTRE – HMCC. You can choose HD mode to get the high-quality video)
During history time, four sacred animals still exist and use in the spiritual life of the Vietnamese. It helps to show you that Viet Nam was and is ways an independent country with various and rich traditions.
If you would like to learn more about Vietnam’s history and understand more about our diverse culture, beautiful ancient architecture and enjoy the delicious foods. Book the Hue city tour 1 day with Culture Pham Travel right away!
Culture Pham Travel